It was 1973, when Hubertus Count von Dönhof invited some friends for a meeting at the Nürburgring to prove themselves that their vintage racing cars were still capable for fast laps. The next year Count von Dönhof organised a race-weekend and it was called the AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix. Each year the event developed itself and attracted more and more visitors. During the 45th edition of the AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix the weather conditions were bad but despite these circumstances almost 45,000 visitors were enjoying the races and demonstration runs. Only on Sunday just before lunchtime the sun started shining and the temperature rose to 22 degrees Celsius.
Since its construction (1925 - 1927), the Nordschleife has enjoyed a reputation as a terrifying and merciless route through the German Eifel forests. On the occasion of the 90th birthday of the legendary Nürburgring, a new - but already well-known - motorsport event took place in the Eifel. Exactly 90 years after the Nürburgring was opened (the 18th of June 1927) the "Nürburgring Classic" was held on the old track (Nordschleife) and the Grand Prix course.
In the industrial area of the German town Melle, an automobile-museum is located in a former furniture factory. The Automuseum Melle was founded in Ibbenbüren, in 1984. In 1997 the museum moved into the premises of the former furniture factory Melchersmann. All the vehicles exhibited in the museum are from private owners and the cars must be functional and regularly used. Most of the cars are exhibited for periods of six months after which the owners will drive them out again and do the necessary maintenance. During the past 30 years around 2000 different historical vehicles have been shown. About 200 cars are on display, about 20 cars on the ground floor and the other cars are devided over the two upper floors.
The Louwman Museum features the world's oldest private collection of automobiles, including historic cars, motorcycles and carriages. The internationally oriented collection was formed by two generations of the Louwman family and includes approximately 250 unique classic automobiles. In 1934, the Dutch Dodge importer Pieter Louwman, the father of the current owner, purchased a 20-year-old Dodge, the first car of the collection. In 1969, the collection of Mr. Geerlig Riemer was added. The collection was moved in 1969 to Leidschendam where the National Automobile Museum was opened. In 1981 the collection was moved again to the premises of the Toyota importer Louwman in Raamsdonksveer. On 3 July 2010, the current museum in The Hague, was opened by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, whose former home Huis den Bosch is virtually neighboring the museum.
From March 2018 Guus Docen is the co-editor of the Motormarques site.
The Spa-Francorchamps is possibly one of the most challenging circuits that exists today. The track is twisty and hilly and has lots of sharp inclines. It is a short run from the starting line to the first hairpin La Source from there drivers race down a moderate straight to the point where the race track crosses the Eau Rouge stream. Most F1 drivers will claim that its one of most challenging sections of any existing circuit. No wonder that the drivers of historic racing cars want to compete on Spa-Francorchamps. One of the opportunities to do so is the yearly event “Spa Six Hours".
The fifth edition of the Historic Grand Prix Zandvoort was again a fantastic event for motorsport enthusiasts. The weekend offered spectacular races of formula cars, saloon cars and GTs, trade stands with interesting automobilia and expositions of rare motorcars. Around 30.000 visitors found their way to the circuit in the dunes. The weather conditions on Friday and Saturday were fine and although the weather forecast for Sunday was not that positive, most of the Sunday was dry with just two short moments of rainfall. Free practice and qualifying for the twelve different classes started on Friday and Saturday. The program offered a total of 19 races and several demonstration runs.
During the past years the programme of this event was more or less identical. From the 44th edition of the event things are changing as explained by the chairman of the AvD (German Automobil Club), the organiser of this event. “We are going the right direction with the future of this event, a new generation of drivers is gradually replacing the older drivers and that also implies that more and more younger cars will appear on the starting grid. This will also change the average age of the visitors who will be more interested in the racing cars of the eighties.”
The Porsche Museum is located on a busy junction just outside the Porsche factory complex in Zuffenhausen, Germany. The museum opened in January 2009 and it replaced the old museum which was established in 1976. Designed by Vienna-based Delugan Meissl Associated Architects, the architecture is highly modern, one could even say futuristic. The building features a futuristic 5,600 square meters exhibition space with over 80 legendary automobiles on display.
The original Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps was based on public roads running between the villages of Francorchamps, Malmedy and Stavelot in the Ardennes forest. Motorbike racing began at the track in 1922, and three years later it held its first Grand Prix. It was part of the original world championship calendar in 1950, but even for its time, the 14-kilometre long circuit was fearsomely fast and dangerous. The length and layout was retained until 1970. Most of the cars which compete during the Spa Six Hours weekend were from this era and if you've ever tried to run the old track on a computer racing game (like GT Legends) it becomes clear how cars and drivers must have suffered during a race on this 14-kilometre track. After 1970 various projects followed to eliminate certain high-risk zones but also to preserve the typical characteristics. By 1979 the length of the circuit was reduced to seven kilometres. Four years later, the Formula One returned to Spa. From the first edition of the Spa Six Hours back in 1993 the length of the circuit is almost unchanged. Since the layout of the new chicane the length of the circuit is now exactly 7004 metres.