With the AVD Oldtimer Grand Prix, it's a bit like having old friends. One knows its strengths and weaknesses and is always glad to meet them again. For the 42nd time the fans flocked together at the Eifel. The program differed only slightly from previous years, therefore, to speak of missing highlights, would surely be a mistake. Porsche welcomed classic sports car enthusiasts from all over the world on a site covering more than 14,000 square metres and offered advice and consultation for repair work or spare parts supply of classic Porsche vehicles. They also celebrated the 40 anniversary of the 911 Turbo. Jaguar Heritage brought a few D-Types from its museum, and McLaren showed the rarely seen 1970 ex-Denny Hulme M14, which finished second at the South Africa Grand Prix and secured third places at Great Britain, Germany and Mexico. But the main reason to visit this event are of course the races, especially the 4-hour Marathon race on the legendary Nordschleife. In spite of the less than glorious weather conditions more than 45,000 visitors drove into the Eifel.
Jaguar Land Rover's Special Operations division has acquired Britain's largest private car collection of 543 classic motorcars. This enormous collection of cars was created by tooth expert and entrepreneur Dr.James Hull. He made his fortune by building up a chain of dental surgeries and selling them in 2006 to a private equity firm. James began his collection while working as a dentist in South Wales where he opened a practice in 1987. During the years he travelled around the world to purchase cars for his collection.
The Steyr-Puch company, initially known as Josef und Franz Werndl and Company was founded in 1864 as a rifle manufacturer. During the First World War the company grew rapidly and in 1918 it employed 14,000 people. The company began producing bicycles in 1894. In September 1917 Steyr recruited Hans Ledwinka, now remembered as one of the great automobile engineers of the twentieth century, to the position of chief-engineer, to lead the creation of their automobile manufacturing business. The first Steyr car appeared in 1920. The company changed it’s name to Steyr-Werke AG in 1924. In 1934, Steyr merged with Austro-Daimler-Puch to form Steyr-Daimler-Puch. After the second world war, Steyr-Daimler-Puch built diesel engined trucks, buses and tractors and also resumed passenger car production. First, Steyr assembled the Fiat 1100E , then put their own engine in a Fiat 1400 , renaming the car the "Steyr 2000". Most prominent, however, was its range of off-road cars, from the two-cylinder Haflinger and the 4x4 or 6 x 6 Pinzgauer , the Fiat Panda 4x4 (999cc) to the Mercdes-Puch G . The Haflinger was produced from 1959–1974.
Three times three – it's the success formula of the three-hour race of the Historic Trophy Nürburgring. Three racing series start together on Saturday afternoon for a 180 minutes race on the Grand-Prix circuit and the Nordschleife of the Nürburgring. The equipes from approximately 150 historic touring cars and GT cars from the Dunlop FHR Long Distance Cup, Trophy and Triumph classic cars Competition & British GTs will not only compete against each-other in their own competition field but also against the cars the other two series. The pilots know that not only their lap times are critical - also with the right strategy and a good pitcrew are essential to finish this race. What is needed is the right mix of speed and consistency, so the combination of full commitment and gentle handling of the material is essential. A special highlight for the spectators is that they can visit the starting grid just before the start of the race.
General Motors' UK unit Vauxhall is reviving a famous nameplate - Viva - from next spring, using it on a Korean-built entry level hatchback. Vauxhall built the Viva in three series - HA, HB and HC - from 1964 to 1979 and it was also assembled overseas, proving popular in markets like New Zealand. It also formed the basis of the Holden Torana line in Australia. In Europe, it was eventually replaced by Opel's Astra once GM Germany and UK product lines were fully aligned. The Viva name has since been used for a Chevrolet version of an Astra saloon sold by Russian joint venture GM-AvtoVAZ from 2004-2008 and also in Australia by Holden which rebadged the Daewoo Lacetti for a time in the mid-2000s.
Production of the Ambassador, the first car to be made in India, has been halted. Based on the old Morris Oxford Series III, the production of the Ambassador began in 1957 and the overall design has changed little since it first went into production in 1957. The independent suspension and hydraulic telescopic double acting front shock absorbers made travelling on the rough Indian roads comfortable. The last years there were petrol, diesel and CNG versions available.
Jaguar to restart the lightweight racing E-type production Six new lightweight racing E-types will be built on the site of Jaguar's old Browns Lane factory in Coventry. The project is designed to launch Jaguar's new heritage company, which will offer a top-quality restoration service and could even include small-scale reconstructions of classics such as these. The heritage centre will be based at the Browns Lane, Coventry, site, where Jaguar traditionally made cars but hasn't since 2005 when it moved production to Castle Bromwich and Halewood (now a Land Rover production site). Brownse Lane was sold off and is now partly a housing estate, but Jaguar kept about 17 acres and although the Browns Lane Jaguar Heritage Museum was demolished in 2012, the area will now house the new Heritage centre where the E-type will be built.
After the death of Henk Geerts , the owner of the Auto Union Museum in Bergen, the negotiations with Audi Germany took place but Henk’s wish to transfer the entire collection to the Audi museum, unfortunately, couldn’t be fulfilled. The last few months, there were many requests from car-enthusiasts to visit the museum. On Sunday the 29st of March, the doors opened again for those interested to see the complete collection. The museum attendants were enthusiastic and it was suggested to repeat this again the next few months. Provisional Sundays to visit the museum are: 18 and 25 May, 1 and 15 June , 6 and 20 July. Opening time from 12:00 h. to 16:00 h. In the spirit of the museum , where classic cars and changing art were always in harmony with each other , there are contacts with professional artists to exhibit their work. At the moment Henk’s inheritors are preparing themselves to find good destinations for all the cars, motorbikes, mopeds, parts, tools and DKW posters. The expectation is that there is still some time left to visit in the museum.
In the centre of the picturesque village Bergen in the Netherlands, resides the Dutch Auto Union museum. This small museum houses historic cars and motorbikes of the brands Auto Union, DKW and Tornax, which have been collected over a long period and restored by Mr. Henk Geerts. The vehicles from the collection of the museum are from the 1931 to 1965. It is the only museum that is recognized by Audi AG. Sadly, on the first of November 2013, Henk Geerts passed away, at age 82. What will happen with this unique collection of two stroke-engined motorcars?