Text and photos by Guus Docen After the successful first two editions of the Historic Grand Prix Zandvoort, the third edition was also a huge success. Over three days 50.831 visitors witnessed a stunning racing festival, where the rich racing history of Zandvoort stood central. Matches with historic formula, touring and sports cars from the period 1948-1985, formed the main part of the program. There were also lots of demonstrations and presentations, autograph sessions with prominent (former) drivers and a parade on Saturday with racing cars from the circuit to the historic center of Zandvoort.
European Desk 87
On Saturday, at 16.00 hrs. the Coys auction started in the big tent in the middle of the Grand Prix circuit. Fifty classic cars were noted in the Coys catalog, but around twelve 12 extra cars were added. To sell these so-called late entries is sometimes difficult as there’s no chance for interested bidders to inform themselves about the cars, they are forced to bid spontaneously. Despite some of these entries got a new owner, like the Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1300 for 29,900 euros or a 1926 Fiat 509 MM, which was upgraded in the 30s with a compressor, for 72,900 Euros. Most of the cars were sold under the estimated price. A Fiat Dino Coupe 2400 went for 26,450 Euros or a 1966 Jaguar E-Type Roadster Series 1 4.2 litre for 123,500 Euros. Particular interesting were the four Mercedes SLs with extremely low mileage. The 1978 450 SL with just 3464 miles on the clock found a buyer for 65,200 Euros. The even more attractive 380 SL with only 12,721 miles from new, went for 55,200 Euros.
With the AVD Oldtimer Grand Prix, it's a bit like having old friends. One knows its strengths and weaknesses and is always glad to meet them again. For the 42nd time the fans flocked together at the Eifel. The program differed only slightly from previous years, therefore, to speak of missing highlights, would surely be a mistake. Porsche welcomed classic sports car enthusiasts from all over the world on a site covering more than 14,000 square metres and offered advice and consultation for repair work or spare parts supply of classic Porsche vehicles. They also celebrated the 40 anniversary of the 911 Turbo. Jaguar Heritage brought a few D-Types from its museum, and McLaren showed the rarely seen 1970 ex-Denny Hulme M14, which finished second at the South Africa Grand Prix and secured third places at Great Britain, Germany and Mexico. But the main reason to visit this event are of course the races, especially the 4-hour Marathon race on the legendary Nordschleife. In spite of the less than glorious weather conditions more than 45,000 visitors drove into the Eifel.
The Steyr-Puch company, initially known as Josef und Franz Werndl and Company was founded in 1864 as a rifle manufacturer. During the First World War the company grew rapidly and in 1918 it employed 14,000 people. The company began producing bicycles in 1894. In September 1917 Steyr recruited Hans Ledwinka, now remembered as one of the great automobile engineers of the twentieth century, to the position of chief-engineer, to lead the creation of their automobile manufacturing business. The first Steyr car appeared in 1920. The company changed it’s name to Steyr-Werke AG in 1924. In 1934, Steyr merged with Austro-Daimler-Puch to form Steyr-Daimler-Puch. After the second world war, Steyr-Daimler-Puch built diesel engined trucks, buses and tractors and also resumed passenger car production. First, Steyr assembled the Fiat 1100E , then put their own engine in a Fiat 1400 , renaming the car the "Steyr 2000". Most prominent, however, was its range of off-road cars, from the two-cylinder Haflinger and the 4x4 or 6 x 6 Pinzgauer , the Fiat Panda 4x4 (999cc) to the Mercdes-Puch G . The Haflinger was produced from 1959–1974.