It was 1973, when Hubertus Count von Dönhof invited some friends for a meeting at the Nürburgring to prove themselves that their vintage racing cars were still capable for fast laps. The next year Count von Dönhof organised a race-weekend and it was called the AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix. Each year the event developed itself and attracted more and more visitors. During the 45th edition of the AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix the weather conditions were bad but despite these circumstances almost 45,000 visitors were enjoying the races and demonstration runs. Only on Sunday just before lunchtime the sun started shining and the temperature rose to 22 degrees Celsius.
European Desk 66
Since its construction (1925 - 1927), the Nordschleife has enjoyed a reputation as a terrifying and merciless route through the German Eifel forests. On the occasion of the 90th birthday of the legendary Nürburgring, a new - but already well-known - motorsport event took place in the Eifel. Exactly 90 years after the Nürburgring was opened (the 18th of June 1927) the "Nürburgring Classic" was held on the old track (Nordschleife) and the Grand Prix course.
In the industrial area of the German town Melle, an automobile-museum is located in a former furniture factory. The Automuseum Melle was founded in Ibbenbüren, in 1984. In 1997 the museum moved into the premises of the former furniture factory Melchersmann. All the vehicles exhibited in the museum are from private owners and the cars must be functional and regularly used. Most of the cars are exhibited for periods of six months after which the owners will drive them out again and do the necessary maintenance. During the past 30 years around 2000 different historical vehicles have been shown. About 200 cars are on display, about 20 cars on the ground floor and the other cars are devided over the two upper floors.
The Louwman Museum features the world's oldest private collection of automobiles, including historic cars, motorcycles and carriages. The internationally oriented collection was formed by two generations of the Louwman family and includes approximately 250 unique classic automobiles. In 1934, the Dutch Dodge importer Pieter Louwman, the father of the current owner, purchased a 20-year-old Dodge, the first car of the collection. In 1969, the collection of Mr. Geerlig Riemer was added. The collection was moved in 1969 to Leidschendam where the National Automobile Museum was opened. In 1981 the collection was moved again to the premises of the Toyota importer Louwman in Raamsdonksveer. On 3 July 2010, the current museum in The Hague, was opened by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, whose former home Huis den Bosch is virtually neighboring the museum.