Tuesday, 29 July 2008 01:24
Oldtimer Festival Nurburgring 2008Written by Guus Docen
Text and Photos by Guus Docen Internationales Oldtimer Festival Nürburgring 27-29 June 2008
The 26th edition of the Oldtimer Festival organised by the Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil Club (ADAC) attracted more then 12,000 visitors over the weekend. As in the previous years the public was entertained by exciting races and demonstration-runs of vehicles on two, three and four wheels from the years 1908 (De Dion Bouton) until 2003 (the Formula One, IndyCar, ChampCar, and Formula Nippon EuroBOSS series). Several Markclubs were gathered on the central parking field in the centre of the Nürburgring to show off their pride and joy. Of course the Porsche 911 was present in all kind of versions just like the first model Ford Capri (about 100 cars), Alfa Romeo Giulia, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguars XKs and a few Ford GT40s.
Dallara Renault 3.5 V6 and Tyrell
Judd 3.5 V10.
|Damaged Alfa GTAm||Triumph Spitfire||Mini Clubman 1275|
No less then 95 pre-war cars and 12 vintage motorbikes gathered in the old paddock from where they set off to the Nordschleife and the Südschleife for demonstration-runs. On Saturday a part of the L93 public road was closed for a sprint-race. It is worth mentioning some very rare motorcars and cycle-cars. In the latter category was the Sima-Violet, a French cycle car which looks downright ugly.The factory on the Rue Lazare in Paris manufactured the small racing cars between 1924 and 1929. The model is powered by an air-cooled, two-cylinder, two-stroke 496 cc. engine.
Sima-Violet and Mercedes
|Austin Seven Sports 1934||Cunningham Special 1924|
BNC (Bollack, Netter et Compagnie) was established by Lucien Bollack and René Netter in 1923.BNC produced mainly sportscars, and their design was similar to that of the Amilcar.Within its category BNC had some victories (12 hours of Madrid, Paris-Nice rally, 7th place in the Le Mans 24 Hours race of 1928). This 1927 produced model 527 has an 1,100 cc. 4 cylinder engine. In the late 1920's, the company tried to penetrate a higher market sector, unfortunately the demand for large passenger cars was low and in later years only ultra-light racing cars were produced by special request. Finally the Levallois based company was forced to close down in 1931.
|BNC 527 1927.||Riley 1.5 Sport Special 1937||Harley-Davidson 8-Valve 1928||NSU Vintage|
Another rare French motorcar is the 4 cylinder 1,500 cc. EHP Torpedo made in the year 1927.EHP stands for Etablissement Henry Precloux. This French firm was located near Paris and produced racing-cars from 1925 until 1929.An unknown marque in Europe is Cunningham. These fine automobiles were fabricated in Rochester (New York) and a 7.2 litre V8 sports version was present at the “Ring”.
|EHP Torpedo 1927||MG C-Type 1933||Imperia 500H 1929||American La France 1918 14500 cc|
On Saturday, members of the Horch club visited the old paddock during their tour in the Eifel area and about twenty of these high-performance luxury motorcars (made in Germany) were on show to the public. Most prominent of these was the beautiful bodied 853 cabriolet with an in-line 8 cyl. 4944 cc engine.
|Horch's||Horch type 853||Riley 12-4 Special 1934||Battle of dwarfs|
|NSU TT and Fiats||Fiat Abarth 1000 TC||Fiat Abarth 1000 OT||NSU 1200 TT|
|BMW 315 1935|