The MG Magnette K3 currently owned by John and Helen Gillett is chassis number K3 030 and better known as the ex Bira car. It was manufactured in 1933/34 and was the last to leave the the factory. It was originally ordered by and painted red for the Italian racing driver Pelligrini for his entry in the 1935 Mille Miglia race. However, Mussolini banned its import and the sale lapsed. In late 1934 or early 1935 it was purchased by Prince Chula Chakrabongse of Siam (the White Mouse Racing Team) for his cousin, Prince Birabongse (Bira).
Melbourne Desk 196
This extraordinary collection of photographs was taken from the Dacre Stubbs Collection of early English and Australian Motorsport images. Brighton (UK) Speed Trials 1947
Set in the glorious hills above Adelaide, South Australia, Birdwood becomes the centre of our nation's attention once a year in a motoring cavalcade of over a thousand of our nation's most treasured old motor vehicles.More to follow if and when the exercise gets this far.