Sunday, 03 May 2009 04:09

33rd Historic Winton - CWM Special

Written by 
1949 CWM Ford V8 Special
Believed by many to be one of the most specialised Ford side valve Aussie Specials ever constructed - completed during 1949 by Dennis Curran who, as an apprentice hand, made many of the advanced features on the vehicle including the independent suspension and the adapted Minerva braking system. Curran first ran the V8 special at the 1950 Nuriootpa AGP followed by the 1951 Narrogin AGP.

The vehicle then passed to W. Wilcox who named it the FLS and ran it in the 1953, 1954 and 1955 AGPs.  In 1955, the vehicle was taken over by Melbourne car dealer Harry McLaughlin who commissioned a rather extensive re-build by Frank Murphy, who fitted a Lancia Lamda rear end, Jaguar XK 120 gear box and a re-designed body.  Added to this was a 5 litre V8 motor with Offenhauser heads and induction manifolds.  It promptly broke a number of local hill climb records including Templestowe in 1956, and competed in the famous 1956 AGP.

It was then re-badged as the Marchel and competed until 1960, when it disappeared from view.  Noel Tuckey found the remains in 1980 and undertook a partial restoration, which was finished by Tony Osborne when he added the present body.

The initials CWM are taken from the surnames of previous contributors to the evolution of the vehicle: Curran, Wilcox, Murphy.



Latest from MotorMarques Team

Print Email
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Read 2684 times Last modified on Monday, 21 May 2012 17:14

Leave a comment